Two sets of parents...
... and two continents. On one end, it means that I only have to really devote one night a week to seeing the one set of parents that are firmly ensconced in Calgary, to see my parents. However, it also means that once a year, if I can swing the vacations I spend roughly 1.5 - 2K to visit the other set of parents. This year, because I already went to Aussie, I can't follow Andre to Denmark.
Don't get me wrong, I wish I could see the other set more often; they tend to give good viewpoints on things my parents may not necessarily know how to give advice on. That, and in these four years I've known them I've come to care deeply for them. Even if they tend to travel to the point where sending packages becomes an entertainment in itself. :)
That gives me an opportunity to travel to places I wouldn't necessarily do otherwise and experience a different side to Denmark which is part touristy and part family based. For example, it's easy to go to Denmark and visit the Round Tower, Rosenborg, Christiansborg, Marble Church; but it is not so easy to go and be part of a hearty and happy family reunion where people chatter away happily in Danish, share food they've made by hand, play some football/soccer, and bake in the sun. That, you have to be part of a Danish family to experience. I may look Asian, but for many of his extended relatives, I'm just another familiar face in the sea of relatives.
Also, his parents have always looked after me and taken good care of me when they could, and for that I am very thankful. In essence when I visit Denmark it's like being at a second home complete with two furballs who are the cutest, if not the brightest little ones on earth. The invitation stands open to his parents that if they visit Canada someday, our doors will always be open to them. As for my parents, well they live 20 minutes away from me, but we always visit for food, gossip, and sometimes, items that Mom's trying to discard. ;)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home